I picked up an extra shift on Tuesday night. It went decently and I made some much-needed cash. Except…there was one thing that made me almost vomit.
Table 42 left their used dental floss on the table. It was not conveniently on a plate so I didn’t have to touch it, either; they left it all hidden under napkins. I unknowingly snatched up all the trash so I could pile it on the dirty plates and send it to DishLand. Imagine my disgust when I grabbed about a half-dozen strands of obviously used floss and the bits of slimy food and plaque stuck to my fingers.
I choked down a shriek and held down the vomit threatening to erupt at any moment. I washed my hands over and over and still felt so unclean. I felt like my hands would never be clean again.
I thought I had it bad but when I told Alex, another server, about it…he said he has a table of regulars who are diabetics. Those people leave their USED SYRINGES on the table when they leave! Not capped and “safe”, mind you…needles exposed and everything. Talk about a biohazard.
Are servers and/or busboys so lowly that you think it’s okay to leave objects contaminated with your bodily fluids and chewed up food mush for us to clean up? USE THE GODDAMN TRASH CAN OR TAKE IT WITH YOU! At the very least, hand it to me wrapped up in a napkin and WARN me what it is, for God’s sake!
And I can’t help but wonder…did these people floss their teeth at the damn table?? They sure didn’t do it in the bathroom because they would have had to walk past three trashcans before bringing the floss from the bathroom to the table.
Flossing at the table is GROSS, and so is leaving your nastiness on the table when you leave.